Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Double the Fun

I completely forgot I had planned to do this. Gord's Running Store hosts a group run every Tuesday, and I've been thinking of checking it out. So I planned to do so tonight.

I met a small group at the store, and at 7:00 sharp, we headed out and eastward down 8th Avenue. Some of the faster runners disappeared in a hurry, but there were a few of us who ran together for the first couple of kilometres.

Down 8th Avenue, and then south along Nose Creek. The path splits and we took the one that went west, toward Tom Campbell Hill. By now the group had completely spread out and we were pretty much each on our own. I circled the hill, then headed through the gate at 13th Street, down Thomson Avenue, zigged to Abbot Avenue, zagged to 12A Street, then finally on to 12th Avenue.

At 11A Street, I headed uphill, to a path that rises steeply, then in the last five metres, rises really, really steeply, to Jamison Avenue. This cul-de-sac turns into 5th Avenue, which I followed downhill again, to 6A Street. It's all kinda convuluted, since these streets and avenues have to follow around the bluff.

At 4th Street, I headed uphill (yikes, what a hill!) and westward at the top on 7th Avenue. Across Edmonton Trail, down 3rd Street, up 2nd Avenue (another hill, this one so steep, they've blocked it off to traffic). Down Samis Road, and up Centre Street to the store.

Nice run. I also ran part way there, and part way home after.

Distance: 9.85 km. Time: 56:21 Average speed: 10.5 kph.

Shoes: Saucony Grid Phoenix (Yellow) A.

Weather: Partly cloudy and 13C.

The Calgary Marathon is still in 46 days.

No comments: