Sunday, January 22, 2006

Going Long

Rats. Didn't realize I was out of gels until late last night, and nothing open that I can think of where I can get them. So I took a Powerbar. The first bite almost took my teeth out. After that I kept it in an inside pocket. It was like trying to bite through frozen leather.

Anyway. I was thinking of running along the Elbow today, but with a stiff breeze out of the west, I felt that maybe I should start by running into the wind. So same as last week, going west.

I still have that tightness in the right ankle, that takes about half an hour to work itself out. By the time I passed Crowchild it was fine. No neighbour on the path today, though.

Once past that little bit of a challenge, things went very smoothly, and time passed quickly. I reached the Shouldice Pool about five minutes ahead of last week's run, and then continued across the river and down Bowness Road. By the time I reached my turn-around time, I was just a few metres short of 73rd Street.

After the turn-around, just past the railway underpass, this minivan in deserate need of a ring job went by. It left a blue pall over Bowness Road, all the way to 60th Street. koff, koff

After that, hard slogging. My blister from last week, while much improved, still began to develop its own blister. At least I can walk without limping.

Today's run:
Distance: 25.22 km. Time: 2:24:34. Average speed: 11.1 kph.
Rest distance: 1.43 km. Rest time: 15:30
Total distance: 26.65 km. Total time: 2:40:34

Weather: Drifting snow and 0C to start, but by the end, it was sunny and 4C. Actually a very nice day, and the wind wasn't noticeable along the river. The only time I really noticed it was at the edge of the bluff. For all the sun, there wasn't a huge crowd out enjoying it. Lots out running and walking, but not the big crowd that usually comes out during the warm sunny days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wondered if the gym at North Hill Mall would have had any gels, but by the time I thought of it, I figured it was too late to call you.

Glad you still have all your teeth!

Nony