Friday, September 01, 2006

The End of a Tough Week

It's been tough for everything, and nothing really stands out. Just kind of a bleah week all over. And not just me either. I've heard comments from friends, and a couple have come down with some kind of viral infection. Bleah, bleah, bleah... Maybe it's some kind of end-of-summer thing.

Anyway, a hard, slow, painful run to Crowchild tonight. For the last twenty minutes I was resorting to the self talk I usually use at about the 35 km mark: "just to that fence... just to that sign...," just to the next marker, what ever it was.

The paths were nearly deserted. That's typical for a Friday before Labour Day weekend, I suppose. I was OK out bound, sort of, all the way to Crowchild. Crossing to the south side of the river and heading back, I was feeling heavy and a little tired. The little dip under 14th Street seemed hard going down, and the climb out too, even though it was all of fifteen steps or so.

Then just trudging, slogging to 10th Street, where I seriously considered walking the rest of the way. But I kept at it, somehow. At The Path, I just put my head down and kept moving, hoping I would eventually find myself at the top. After that, I felt like I had very little left.

So what the heck is up with all that? Tomorrow is a day off, and wI'll see what Sunday morning is like.

Today's run:
Distance: 9.88 km. Time: 57:50. Average speed: 10.3 kph.

Weather: Sunny and 20C.

No comments: