Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Sun Just Might Be Coming Back

After a string of cold rainy days, we should get some clearing today. It's still chilly out, so I got the tights out for the first time this season. But it was another fantastic run. Lots of people out, lots of energy and I felt great through the whole thing.

I ran the usual route, down The Path Under The Stairs, across Prince's Island to the south side of the river, and westward along the promenade. There were a lot of runners out to begin with, despite the cold wind blowing in from the north. Once I passed Crowchild, the crowd thinned a little.

The whole run on the south side was smooth, strong and pain free. I had great speed, too, and my timing at the track crossings was perfect in that I didn't have to wait for that pesky freight train.

At Edworthy, I crossed to the north, and after a quick stop (the reason I run this route is the all season washrooms there), continued along the north side of the river toward the downtown, still strong and feeling great. Once I crossed under Crowchild, the crowds seemed to thin out considerably.

At the 10th Street bridge, was a water table, and looking across the river, there was a sizeable crowd heading west on the south side. I checked the Calgary Road Runners' web site later, and discovered that it was the Terry Fox Run. I think next year, we'll have to get a team together for that one.

Back to the foot bridge to Prince's Island, and to The Path Under The Stairs. I had plenty of energy to power up The Path, and still had lots of energy and wind at the top for the sprint over the last kilometre home.

Today's run:
Distance: 16.48 km. Time: 1:25:20. Average speed: 11.6 kph.
Rest distance: 908.8 m. Rest time: 9:00.
Total distance: 17.38 km. Total time: 1:34:20.

Shoes: Saucony Grid Phoenix (Blue)

Weather: Partly cloudy and 1C at the start, but not changing much, to cloudy and 2C at the finish. The wind stayed the whole run, at 40 kph from the north, gusting to 50 kph.

No comments: