Sunday, July 08, 2007

What Was I Thinking??

That thought occurred to me several times this morning as I plodded along Bow Cresent and Bowness Road. This was a tough one, and I didn't get that second wind like I got in the first and second marathons. I think I was counting on that.

I got to the Mewata Armoury about 6:00 am, ready and pumped, and headed for the Porta-Pottie lineups. Then stretching and a little light jogging to warm up, and back in the line again. Repeat as necessary. The last trip got me out of the little green shack about two minutes to the starting gun, so I ended up way in the back. I was kinda hoping to get more to the middle, so I could get past the traffic.

As usual with these things, the gun goes off, a rousing cheer rises from the crowd, and we stand there for a minute or so. If I was a faster runner, I could cut that wait to less than thirty seconds.

About two and a half minutes later I crossed the starting line, and was into a slow jog as I worked my way through traffic. This was a good crowd, and it seemed to stay thick for ages. The route took us through the Stampede grounds again, and that gets narrow, with all the food and gaming booths. (And by the way, those mini-donuts are transfat free this year. woohoo.)

From there, it's a nice run from the south end of the Stampede grounds, around to Ramsey, then the zoo. I love the zoo. I think a lot of people don't, cuz the paths are narrow, and the traffic really doesn't thin out all that much by the time we get there. But I love winding through the North American exhibits, even if we didn't get to see anything. And if you don't mind pushing through the bush on the edge of the path, you can gain some ground.

After the zoo, we head back west toward Bridgeland. By this time I still felt great. I had a great pace and nothing really hurt yet. Then the jog at Edmonton Trail to Memorial, and the long slog.

By about fifteen kilometres, I was starting to feel things, and I was a little concerned about that, being only a third of the way through this. Anyway, I just kept going, trying not to think about pace or anything, but just keeping going.

At 19 km, there was a most unforgettable moment. My picture, two feet square, on cardboard from the week before, with the Groucho glasses, and three very special people - Byron, Kathy and Caroline - cheering me. That is one moment I don't think I'll ever forget.

Shortly after that, I reached the half, and I don't think I've ever been that glad to reach a milestone. The race official was reading off times, and as I passed, he said, "2:04:42." Not bad. But I didn't think there was a possibility of a negative split, so no breaking the four hour barrier today. And that was OK.

At the 22 km marker, four women began cheering for me, one of them wildly. My neighbour from upstairs, Jocelyn, and her friends were on the sidelines. She's the one who ran Boston this year, qualifying in Kelowna last fall with a time of 3:59:58, if I recall correctly.

I hate the part through Bowness. The street they have us run on is only partially paved, full of potholes and gravel. It can be an ankle buster, if you aren't careful. And by this time, I'm feeling everything, so it wasn't the funnest part of the run.

Near the 26 km marker, my friend Peter-Mark was volunteering, so I got another cheering, which was great. His enthusiasm is amazing and it was a boost I needed.

Bowness Park is another tough slog. You'd think it wouldn't be all that bad, but for some reason it just seems long and slow, with the most unforgiving pavement. Last time I ran this, it was the toughest part of the whole marathon.

But I made it. Actually, I made it through the whole thing, didn't I?

At around 32 km, I decided to try and stretch the calves against the curb during my walk period, and found myself face to face with a pair of beautiful golden eyes in the tall grass. I moved slightly, and the dark grey longhair cat bounded out of the tall grass, across the street and over a fence, startling some of the runners.

Another cheering from Peter-Mark, and the long slog back to downtown. Shouldice Pool. The 35 km marker. Here's where I started to really struggle.

I do run-walks, with a one minute walk out of every ten minutes. At this point it quickly became very hard to start running again, after that one minute walk. Not so much from motivation, but from general stiffening up. It hurt.

Jocelyn and her friends were still there, near 36 km on the return side, and their cheering was a welcome boost. And then it was head down, and go. Just before the 14th Street bridge, the 4:15 pace bunny and his entourage caught up to me, and passed. I just kept plugging.

Just past the 42 km marker I was confronted with that picture of me with the funny nose and glasses again, and cheering friends. I would love to say that gave me that added burst for the end, but in reality, I had nothing left. I just kept plodding, to the mats at the finish line, barely noticing my name being announced as I approached. I did notice the clock at around 4:16, so I figured that was that.

Hugs from my friends, and then to the food tent, where I made an impression. I can't believe how ravenous I get after a run.

Today's run:
Distance: 39.42 km. Time: 3:46:45. Average speed: 10.4 kph.
Rest distance: 3.13 km. Rest time: 25:00.
Total distance: 42.55 km. Total time: 4:11:45.

Shoes: Saucony Grid Phoenix (Yellow) B.

Weather: Completely overcast all the way through, going from 13C to 16C.

1 comment:

Shane said...

Way to go! Sounds like it was a tough one but what a time! Good luck walking down any stairs today!!!