Sunday, July 29, 2007

Long and Slow

It felt right to do a distance run, even though yesterday was a good workout. But I took it slow, deciding to enjoy the beautiful day.

I headed west toward Edworthy, as usual. The weather has been spectacular, and today we're again blessed with an incredible blue sky. The run out was pretty standard, but on the way back, on impulse, I took the high road. Just into the bush after crossing the tracks, the path splits, with a paved path to the left following the tracks, and a dirt path climbing up into the forest.

This path quickly turns into stairs or sorts, and it's a lot of climbing. I felt great and managed to run almost all the way to the top. And even the up and down was wonderful. I felt great in the knees, which was good because they got a workout.

Near Crowchild, the path drops and crosses the tracks to join the one by the river. And from there it was plain old slogging back home. Of course, the Calgary Folk Music Festival is going on again, and as I passed through Prince's Island, there were at least four active stages going. The east most one, by the foot bridge, had a great blues band going, and an enthusiastic crowd.

By Prince's Island, I was running out of steam. On The Path Under The Stairs, I got to walk some of the steepest part, but it was hard going up. I pretty much used everything up today.

Distance: 16.28 km. Time: 1:45:20. Average speed: 9.3 kph.
Rest distance: 1.04 km. Rest time: 11:00.
Total distance: 17.32 km. Total time: 1:56:20

Shoes: Saucony Grid Phoenix (Yellow) B.

Weather: Sunny and 22C at the start, 27C by the end.

No comments: