Friday, November 03, 2006

Slushy, Melty Run

It's warming up. Not enough to melt much, but the roads and sidewalks have so much salt on them that they're turning into goop. The paths on the river are almost clear, though, probably because the snow doesn't get packed too much before they get those spinning brushes pushing it all over.

Got an almost immediate satellite lock out there, so I was moving right away. Along the path on top of the bluff, which is uneven and not really packed. Good ankle workout if you don't damage one. I had great energy today, so the speed was there, and I was flying down The Path Under The Stairs. I worry only briefly about not being able to keep my feet moving fast enough to keep them under me.

Once I got to the river I just settled in and ran hard. Not the hardest I've ever ran, but steady. The crowd wasn't huge, which is expected given that it's a little cool, and it's Friday. I took the pedestrian path from 10th to 14th, but should have stuck with the bicycle path. They don't clear the pedestrian paths in winter, and so runners and most walkers share the bike paths that run parallel.

I felt great after crossing at 14th Street, and it was steady running all the way to Eau Claire. And once I crossed to the bluff, I had all kinds of energy for The Path Under The Stairs. And just for fun, I sprinted to the finish.

Today's run:
Distance: 7.11 km. Time: 38:00. Average speed: 11.2 kph.

Shoes: Saucony Grid Phoenix (Yellow)

Weather: Fog and -4C.

No comments: