Sunday, November 19, 2006

Canmore Run

I decided to get out of the city for a couple of days, and I ended up in Canmore for the weekend. Yesterday, I drove down to a little parking spot just where the road toward the Nordic Centre crossed the Bow River. I think it's actually called Bridge Road.

I went northward along the river on the path. It very quickly comes to a power station, at which a bridge crosses east. It looks like an old train bridge, and it leads to a raised bed that goes straight through town toward the main rail line.

There's a second bridge, and then a crossroad with a path going either way along the river. I eased past the wedding party being photographed on the bridge (it's a lovely setting, and the bride wore a strapless gown with a white fur wrap).

From there I continued north along the river to the end of town. Up to that point was what Tru and I explored back in April. We had often talked about coming back and running this path.

The path ended not much past the last house at a gate into a golf course. But it looped around the end of the subdivision, and down the other side of it, between it and the golf course. It was a pretty run through the forest, along side a dry creek bed and across a couple of foot bridges.

I ended up on a street for about a block, and then at the next intersection it plunged back into forest again. It was very scenic and fun, as it kind of wound around and up and down behind a long row of houses.

Eventually I found the other end of that railbed, and took it west through town to that first bridge. I turned south where the wedding party had been, and then crossed back to where I was parked.

Since I had only run about 6.75 km, I thought I'd keep going for awhile. So I kept going south along the river, and eventually I found the sculpture that has all the locals upset. It ain't much, but it's out in the middle of an open space that is otherwise surrounded by trees. That seems to be the point of contention for people, that it's intruding on this natural space.

A little farther past that, and past a playground, I got to another bridge. At this point I decided to turn around and head back to the car. It was a very nice run, even a special run, and I'd love to do it again.

Today's run:
Distance: 7.94 km. Time: 45:02. Average speed: 10.6 kph.

Shoes: Saucony Grid Phoenix (Yellow).

Weather: Cloudy and about 4C. There was a wind, but in the forest, it was unnoticeable.

No comments: