Sunday, August 20, 2006

Sunday Morning is Such as Great Time to Run

Interesting observation: There weren't too many solitary runners out this morning. But there were a lot of groups out, especially in twos and threes. And another thing is, the path below Spruce Cliff is closed for some reason, not that anyone was paying attention to the signs.

What a great morning! Nice and cool to start, but that didn't last long. About twenty minutes into it, I was wondering what I was thinking when I grabbed the long sleeved shirt. Since runs are about the only time I get to tan, it came off pretty quick.

I crossed to the promenade by the Centre Street bridge, then west all the way to Edworthy. It was an uneventful run, but fun and smooth and full of energy. I've found that since I've managed to stretch out the hip issues that I had after the Vancouver marathon, it's often been that way. My long runs just fly by, and I usually run the second hour a little faster. It feels faster.

Anyway, after a brief stop at Edworthy, I headed back toward downtown on the north side of the river. Even though it was a perfect morning, there were not a lot of people rafting on the river like there were last weekend. Then, it was like a watery Deerfoot, with bumper to bumper traffic going at crazy speeds. Today there were very few out there: three kayaks and a couple swimming under the 10th Street bridge.

At the C-Train bridge, I crossed back to the promenade, since I planned to take Centre Street and Nony's Awful Little Hill back to the top of the bluff, You can get on to the bridge from the north side, but you have to sprint across east-bound Memorial to a path in the grass, then up a steep stairway to the bridge deck. I prefer running to climbing, especially after I've been running for almost two hours anyway.

Today's run:
Distance: 17.36 km. Time: 1:34:55. Average speed: 11.0 kph.
Rest distance: 1.04 km. Rest time: 10:00.
Total distance: 18.41 km. Total time: 1:44:55.

Weather: Sunny and 14C to start, but ending at about 18C.

No comments: