Tuesday, August 08, 2006

After the Fringe in Saskatoon

We didn't get to any performances, but we did tour the street and take in the vendors and buskers. There were some excellent street performers, drawing some pretty big crowds. And the food! There were some excellent wings and samosas, and for desert, some amazing chocolate cupcakes. These were likely created by my eldest daughter's friend, who works at the upscale coffee shop that was selling them as the pastry chef. Dee-lish!

And so much for being nutritionally conscientious - the weekend was a wash for that. Too busy spoiling my grandson, although a fair number of calories were burned off in chasing after him. Still I was out Sunday before noon, determined to run some distance.

Again, I ran the length of the city, sort of. My daughter lives near the exhibition grounds in the south, and I ran to the 42nd Street bridge (also called the Circle Drive bridge), which is the northern-most one. I stayed on the east side of the river, which is the more exposed side. Once I got to the university, the trees seemed to stay back from the path.

It's such a scenic run, and it's a fun, winding path along the top of the bluff on the east side. Then across the bridge, and southward again, along Spadina. I would have thought to have seen many more people than I did out there. In perhaps the ninety minutes it took to get to Kiwanis Park, I may have met no more than half a dozen runners. And there were few other people around as well, until I got near the Bessborough Hotel, where every other bench was occupied and several people were strolling the path. I imagine everyone else had headed for the lakes for the long weekend.

Then under the Broadway Bridge, and past the Victoria Bridge (likely closed permanently, sad to say) and on to the new promenade and park being built at the south end of downtown. There is still much to complete, but the promenade itself is open to the public now.

After that, it was across the Idylwyld Bridge, and up Poplar Cresent, past the old brewery site (fast filling in with condos) to the Taylor Street underpass, and a few more blocks. Then a nice cooldown walk the last couple of blocks.

Today's run:
Distance: 16.06 km. Time: 1:32:28. Average speed: 10.4 kph.
Rest distance: 930.7 m. Rest time: 10:00
Total distance: 16.99 km. Total time: 1:42:28

Weather: Probably around 30C, and sunny. Really beautiful weather.

No comments: