Sunday, October 23, 2005

Rail Express Run

Lovely fall day, and perfect for being out in it. I started out before sunrise - not difficult at this time of year, as the sun only comes up about a quarter after eight. Today I did pretty much the same run as last week: down to the river, east to Edmonton Trail and across, west to Crowchild Trail, back to Prince's Island and home.

It felt pretty good, not great. My energy started out alright, but didn't stay. After twenty minutes I was flagging a little. At about forty minutes I used a gel, and that helped a lot. I'll have to think about how to use those on the distance runs so I don't struggle at the start.

The neatest part of the run was just as I was crossing at Crowchild. I could hear this noise, very much like the ka-klack of a slow train on the rails. As I reached the south bank and the path there, I could see a huge cloud beginning to block the sun and the sound was getting louder. I could see the front of the cloud growing with big blobby poofs coming from something. And out of the trees came this ancient steam locomotive, chuffing and chugging along the main CPR line along the river, pulling several cars, sleepers, and Pullmans and mail cars, all of the same vintage. Way too cool! I waved at the engineer hanging out the window but I think he was busy with something in the cab.

Today's run:
Distance: 17.04 km. Time: 1:35:40. Average speed: 10.7 kph.
Rest distance: 973.1 m. Rest time: 10:00.
Total distance: 18.01 km. Total time: 1:45:40

Weather: Clear and 1C to start, rising to 5C by the time I was home. Beautiful sunny clear morning, and lots of runners out too.

No comments: