Sunday, October 16, 2005

Cool, Cloudy Sunday

Another distance run, trying to get back into the swing of things. This one was down to the river, west to Crowchild and across, Then east, and back across at the C-Train bridge. Continuing east I crossed again at the old iron Langevin Bridge at 4th Street SE, then back west, crossing one more time at Prince's Island. Then it was up The Path Under The Stairs and home.

Not a lot of people out, probably since it was so uninvitingly grey out. But a good run.

My knee has been bothering me a little. It feels really tight, although it doesn't feel any better or worse while I'm running. But I thought I'd try the ice bath to see if it helps. Now this is some kind of uncomfortable. I didn't have any ice, but just ran cold only into the tub. And then not too much, so I wasn't able to fully submerse my legs, but it was enough.

Holy jumped-up jeepers! Putting my feet into it was ordeal enough, but actually sitting down and stretching out my legs was an exercise in concentrated breathing. Then I poured the water over my knee by cupping it with my hands. I had to alternate a lot as my fingers lost mobility and started to ache.

In the end I managed probably four minutes instead of the planned ten. And straight into a hot shower. Still the knee does feel much better, not nearly as tight as it has been. I may try it again sometime.

Today's run:
Distance: 14.74 km. Time: 1:24:31. Average speed: 10.5 kph.
Rest distance: 888.0 m. Rest time: 9:00.
Total distance: 15.63 km. Total time: 1:33:31

Weather: Cloudy and 4C. Not really that warm, so I over dressed again. Not too much, but toward the end I was thinking that the sweatshirt was a bit much. Still and all, a great run.

1 comment:

Shane said...

Ya I do that after all my long runs. It's not pleasant but you get used to it. The trick is to get into the tub first, stretch out your legs, and then turn on the water. You're legs kinda get used to the water rising. Although everytime I coughed the water rippled and I winced! It helps out a huge amount in getting the lactic acid out of your legs. Also makes a hot shower seem all that greater afterward!