Thursday, April 28, 2005

Winter's Back - Again!

Must be spring in Calgary. Cold and windy, with the odd snowflake. Of course, I forgot how to dress for this weather. One layer too many, so I was a little overheated out there. And kinda tired or something, too. Parts of tonight's run just felt hard, and a bit of a slog.

I did contemplate doing my hill run, but because I felt a little tired, I opted for a straight interval run. Over to Cresent Drive and down the path under The Stairs. Just across Memorial and along the river to Crowchild Trail, where I crossed and came back along Bow Trail on the south side. Then on to the promenade toward Eau Claire. I was originally planning to go all the way east and up the Centre Street bridge, but instead, I crossed Prince's Island and took The Stairs back to Cresent Drive again. Even climbed them at a pace that left me enough energy to pick up the run at the top. And then down 8th Avenue home.

Today's run:
Distance: 9.98 km. Time: 58:00. Speed: 10.3 km.
Rest distance: 589.2 m. Rest time: 6:00.
Total Distance: 10.57 km. Total Time: 64:00.

Weather: Partly cloudy and 1C, with a stiff 35 kph breeze out of the north west. For some reason there weren't the crowds out enjoying the spring weather tonight. Go figure.

Shoe update: Took the New Balance shoes back to Gord's Tuesday night, and we went through a whole bunch more pairs. We found a pair of Reeboks that were perfect for my stride, but have a problem with fit. There's a band across the arch that digs into the side of my right foot. Gord suggested I take them home and wear them for half an hour, with the old compressed insole from my old shoes in them, to see if the pressure point was still there. And it was.

Since Nony's away to the coast and we won't be running tomorrow night, I might be able to take them back then, and we'll try again. If not tomorrow, then likely Saturday afternoon, after the Canmore run.

1 comment:

Shane said...

Argg. I hate shoe shopping. I found that the Saucony Shadow's worked great for me and of course they don't make them anymore. So I hunted all over Canada for them and found two pair which I ordered. I think I'm SOL next time so I'll have to start from square one to find shoes that work with me. Good luck. If you do find a pair that work great, buy another pair and alternate them. At least you know you'll be comfortable until next time! Keep up the great work.