Thursday, April 07, 2005

My Hill Run

Did a hill run by threading my way up and down the bluff that's just south of my place. I stretches from Tom Campbell Hill near the zoo, all the way past SAIT and the Jubilee Auditorium. Of course, I didn't go quite that far.

But what I did do was go down 8th Avenue to Nose Creek again, then circle around to the zoo. There's a decent hill to climb going past the zoo entrance, after which the route drops to 12th Street. Then up Tom Campbell Hill, to 13th Street, to Thomson Avenue, and down to 11A Street. That's two hills.

Up 11A to a path that goes up the bluff just past the Bridgeland School, and it's an evil steep thing, with the last twenty metres getting sharply steeper, so much so that you wonder what the heck is going on. At the top, along a relatively flat Danloe Street to Child Avenue, which crosses over to 12th Street, and back down the hill. That's three.

I was planning on taking 4th Avenue across but turned too early and ended up on 5th Avenue instead, which was nice because I've run on 4th a few times now. I still had to cross over to 4th anyway, and then another nasty steep one, up 5th Street to 7th. That's four.

At this point, I could have just trundled home and that would be that, but I wanted two more hills. So down 7th to Edmonton Trail, across and down to where 3rd Street branches off. 3rd to 2nd Avenue. Now here is a hill. This thing is so steep, they've blocked it off. You look at this thing and wonder what the heck they were thinking when they laid the pavement. That's five.

Straight across 2nd Avenue to Samis Road, a steep little trail that goes right down to the top of the Centre Street Bridge. And at this point, I was planning to go right back up to Rotary Park by the 91 steps. But instead, I trundled up Centre Street to 7th Avenue and back to home.

*whew*

Today's run:
Distance: 9.45 km. Time: 58:41. Speed: 9.7 kph. Straight run, no intervals

Weather: Cloudy and 17C, a little cooler that our high of 22. Spring is definitely here.

No comments: