Thursday, December 30, 2004

Test Run

Went out this morning in the cold and snow to see if what I've chosen for an ensemble will work for me tomorrow night. It's all in the wash right now. I've got several layers and everything seems to be great.

Just for fun I switched shoes. I bought these Garmont Naghevi day hikers a few months ago, for - what else? - hiking, and I've read some stuff about trail running, so I wondered how they would work in these cold conditions. They have a very stiff sole and a fairly blocky tread. Actually felt really good.

But tomorrow night, I think I'll stick to the Nikes. Get through the evening, then retire them. Near as I can account for, they've traveled about 880 km.

Today's run:
Distance: 4.97 km. Time: 31:02.51. Speed: 9.6 kph.
Rest distance: 622.7 m. Rest time: 7:00.
Total distance: 5.59 km. Total time: 38:03.

Weather: Light snow and -16C, with a wind NNW at 33 kph, and that gives a wind chill of -28C.

Think I'm ready for tomorrow.

1 comment:

Shane said...

Whew you had me scared there for a moment! I thought you were going to use new shoes for your race!!! I forgot your race is on the 31st while Wendy's and mine are on the 1st. Very cool! You'll have a blast. Just don't go too fast out of the starting block. Save some for the last half. The hardest thing to do in your first races (hell every race) is to start out slow. The people that start out fast are the ones that you'll pass later on! Anyway can't wait to hear how it goes! Give 'er!