Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Quick Run Through the Forest

Since my sister Wendy is coming to town for a couple of days, I thought about taking her through the forest in Fish Creek for a run, since she doesn't see much forest out Moose Jaw way. And I'm off work this week and next, too, so I can get out reasonably early.

So I drove to the Votier Flats area of the park (off the end of Elbow Drive for those who know a bit about Calgary) and went west from there, across all those bridges, to see if it would be a good place to show her a run. Not really a fun place at the moment. We've had great weather the past couple of weeks, but yesterday we had rain and snow, and in the forest, the paths are slick. Lots of opportunities for curling slides. Last night's snow fall is like flour on a plate of glass in a lot of places.

Speed was affected, of course, but what was tough was that much of the motion was up and down since there wasn't much to push off from. I'm feeling it in the calves.

Today's run:
Distance: 4.76 km. Time: 31:45.93. Speed: 9.0 kph.
Rest distance: 622.4 m. Rest time: 7:00.
Total distance: 5.38 km. Total time: 38:46.

Weather: Partly cloudy and -8C - a bit cool, but not bad if you dress right. I think I'm finally getting that part right.

Wildlife: two whitetails came down the hill into the picnic area beside the parking lot while I was stretching and warming up. Usually there are nothing but mule deer in that part of the park. The whitetail seem to like it farther east, by the heron colony. The ice on the paths was making it tough for deer, too. at several points where lots of deer tracks crossed, there were signs of hooves slipping and sliding. At one place, one may even have fallen, judging by how the snow was disturbed. Treacherous!

No comments: