Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Almost Full Moon Run

I think the moon is two days past full, still huge and still bright. Just going down as I got out to the park right at opening time. Surprised a whitetail in the parking lot, but she wasn't too spooked, I think. Kinda sauntered into the bush, in no hurry at all.

Today's run:
Distance: 5.19 km. Time: 31:41.75. Speed: 9.8 kph.
Rest distance: 653.5 m. Rest time: 7:00.
Total distance: 5.84 km. Total time: 38:42.

Weather: Mainly clear and -1C, though the temperature dropped to -4C by the end. There was a stiff breeze at the start, too, which had me wondering if I was dressed warm enough. I adopted the wisdom of an article on cold weather running that I had read, and started into the wind, which meant going west instead of east. Glad I did though.

Trouble with going west, is there isn't enough paved path. It runs out after about two and a half km, and from there, there are several shale paths to choose from. They plowed the paved path quite nicely, but the shale still has eight or ten inches of snow piled on, with numerous tracks from walkers, runners, dog walkers, snow-shoers, skiers, and the like. Rough and uneven, and not completely solid. I slowed down a lot near my turn around point, just so I would struggle so much to stay straight and upright, and to give my knees a break. You can tell from my interval speeds too, where I ran out of pavement. They're all around 10 kph, but the middle two, on the shale, I was only doing 8.5 kph.

But overall, a good run, fun, and at a pretty time of the day.

No comments: