Sunday, December 26, 2004

Plowing Snow on Boxing Day

We got dumped on yesterday, with I don't know how much snow. Driving back from Medicine Hat wasn't bad, but also not great, with snow piling up on the highway, and blowing pretty good. We stopped to switch drivers once, and getting going was slippy-swipey until we got some speed up. Took our time just the same.

Today, all that snow is just laying there, and the park paths are thick with it. Some places the wind has cleaned down to the pavement of the path, but mostly the grasses have kept it neatly covering everything. Mostly ankle deep, some places a lot deeper. I'd say 95% of the time I was lifting my feet totally out of the snow as I ran.

The toughest part is that the damn stuff just rolls out from under my feet. No traction, no real speed, and it's tiring.

Today's run:
Distance: 4.88 km. Time: 32:46.78. Speed: 8.9 kph.
Rest distance: 674.0 m. Rest time: 8:00.
Total distance: 5.55 km. Total time: 40:47.

Weather: Mainly sunny and -19C. Just an ever-so-slight breeze from the north east.

I worried about the short running socks in the snow, but never was a problem. The head sock thing worked great, except maybe it's too tight a material, or it iced up too much. After a bit of running, it became hard to breath through it. Still, I love it. It's the perfect face and head cover in the cold.

No comments: