Friday, December 24, 2004

Feeling the Burn

Two and a half hours, twenty one and some kilometres - I'm amazed at myself.

I didn't get out as early as I wanted to, as I had to run an errand or two first thing this morning. I finally got out about 9:30. Beautiful morning, the sun is sort of shining, through a high hazy cloud layer. There was a layer of snow on the path, but it was melting pretty good, buy the time I finished.

The burn: Since it was so nice out, I undid my wind jacket after about an hour. The wind came up out of the west quite briskly, when I had about forty minutes to go, and if I would have been aware of the consequences, I would have zipped up about then.

Good old prairie mountains. They're a lot tougher to climb on a bike, but they still challenge when running. I felt like I was being pushed back with every step, and I was getting pretty tired by the time I got back to the parking lot. Just because of fighting the wind on the last five or six intervals.

I didn't feel the wind burn, until I got in the car and out of the wind, when I could sweat freely without drying. It's not quite as bad as a bad sunburn, but it's gonna hurt to shave tomorrow. I'm red and raw from the collar of my t-shirt to the headband of my ballcap. Gotta love those dry winter winds.

Today's run:
Distance: 18.90 km. Time: 2:00:00. Speed: 9.5 kph.
Rest distance: 2.79 km. Rest time: 29:40.
Total distance: 21.69 km. Total time: 2:29:40.

Weather: To start, mainly sunny and 7C, with west winds at 18 kph gusting to 28. At the end, partly cloudy and 10C, winds west 32 kph, gusting to 41.

After Wendy left yesterday, I went to The Running Room and bought some running socks and a couple of gels. Thought I'd try both today. The gels didn't seem to make much difference. The socks did.

I've had a bit of soreness dogging me since summer, under the right big toe. Usually after ten minutes or so, things warm up and I don't have any problem. With the running socks, I didn't even feel it for the first ten minutes.

And I was thinking as I was running, I should get another three pack, so I don't have to do laundry so often to have clean running socks. And when I got home, I found a birthday present from my brother, Shane - another three pack of socks. Thanks, bro!

Also for my birthday, my daughter got me a hood/head sock thing. Nice and warm, and you can fold it up so it covers your face. Looking at the forecast for the next few days, I'm gonna need just that thing on Sunday if I get out.

And, I got slippers! I was so excited to get them. I've been holding off getting some myself, as my old ones were completely worn out. But every time I thought about doing so, I'd get barked at because I "might get them for Christmas". Now the old ones await their destiny in the garbage can in the alley. Cool.

Lord, I'm getting old. Getting excited over socks and slippers for my birthday. *sigh*

No comments: