Thursday, November 04, 2004

Still Dark, But Not Nearly So

I took a different path tonight: straight west up the hill on Millrise Drive. Close to the top, it curves south and connects to Shawnessy Boulevard. West on Shawnessy, up and over the top of the hill, then north on James McKevitt Drive, which has a long slow curve toward the east, and over the hump of the hill. Then it's a straight descent to McLeod Trail. I go as far as 5th Street SW, which I take south to Millrise Drive, then it's just a short walk up the hill to my alley.

Time: 41:12. Distance: about 5.3 km. About 10C and windy.

Tonight I ache a bit, possibly from the long up and long down of the hill. My right calf feels a little stretched. I'll see what it's like on Saturday for my distance run. If it's still bothersome, I may cut back to a regular 40 minute run, or even skip a day.

I met half a dozen people out walking dogs tonight. I wonder how often these people meet others out walking. It's like the dogs have never seen other people, the way they growl and bark. Maybe it's the car-driving society I live in - no one walks any more.

Or maybe they don't like the way I smell.

So, on my off days, I try to do some walking. I have night classes Mondays and Wednesdays right now at the University of Calgary. I've been walking to the first C-Train station out of the downtown, which is probably a couple of kilometres at least. It's a nice walk across the river and through the picturesque community of Sunnyside. Fridays, I just get out and walk, either in the park or around the community.

No comments: