Saturday, November 06, 2004

Fun but treacherous

Just finished my weekly distance run, and it was brutal. Since it was cold and wet and a bit windy, I decided to head west from my start point into the forest. Mistake.

The snow we had a couple of weeks ago is still in the sheltered parts of the park, which is pretty much the whole route that I took. It's melted and re-froze, and pitted by hundreds of heels and toes. And to top it off, it's been raining all morning, so not only uneven ice, but wet, uneven ice. Slowed me down a bit.

Still, I feel great after doing it, and I felt pretty good even while picking my way across the ice. One thing I noticed this time, different from any other run, is my knees. I never usually feel any complaint from them, but today, probably because I had to deal with a fair amount of lateral pressure on the lower legs, my knees were just a little achey by the end. The lateral pressure is from the occasional slipping and sliding, and there was some pretty uneven ground along side the paths, between the ice and the bush, when there was enough to run on.

Perhaps brutal is too strong a word, but it was challenging, and in a way, fun.

Got a new toy to play with while I run too. I went out last night and bought a GPS unit for runners, the same one my brother has. Quite the nifty little tool.

Weather: -1C, freezing drizzle, and a bit breezy.
Run: Time:1:29:42.08, Distance: 12.07 km, Speed: 8.1 kmh.

No wildlife to speak of, except just as I was starting, a red-headed woodpecker landed on a tree by the path, not ten feet away. Beautiful bird, and a lot bigger than I thought they were.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Careful with those knees, my friend! I hurt both mine in the same year (2003) and it took them a long time to come back. Lucky for me, they did, and the injuries weren't as bad as they could be. One day maybe I will show you the scar from the rock that lodged in my right knee!

Av