Tuesday, November 23, 2004

One of Those Days...

One of those days at work, where things come at you from all angles, and drive you crazy, and just basically bury you. Which explains my run tonight, maybe.

Today's run:
Distance: 5.30 km. Time: 32:00. Speed: 9.9 kph.
Rest distance: 804 m. Rest time: 7:56.
Total distance: 6.11 km. Total time: 39:56.

Weather: Partly cloudy and -5C. Sidewalks were icy in places, packed snow in others.

Must have been really wound up after work to run like that. I ran two of the intervals at 10.6 kph, much faster than usual. A lot of frustration to burn off, I guess.

I've run this route a few times, but always the other way. Long flat start, longer rise of about 60 m vertical, then a fairly fast drop back to the start. Tonight though, I ran it the other way, with a quick climb, then the long descent to the long level part. It was on the descent that I put on the speed.

It felt really good, like I could have gone all the way down without a break, but I try to stay disciplined: four minute run, one minute walk. I use the timers on the GPS to stay with that interval, but the traffic noise was pretty bad tonight for some reason, and it was hard to hear the alarms, so I over-ran a couple of times. But a really good feeling run.

Oh, and just to brag a bit: I bought a new belt about a year ago, nice heavy leather with lots of room to adjust. At the time I was wearing it at the second last hole, and I thought I was moving outward, if you catch my drift. But then I started this adventure, and the adjustments went the other way. I finally caved last Sunday, and went to the leather repair shop in the mall to have them punch another hole in the thing. Now it doesn't droop so much.

But then there's all these dress pants that kinda look like I'm wearing a potato sack. And baggy shirts - geez, they just hang off me.

Anyway, from close to 200 lb back in April, when I first started this, to 172 lb as of last night. I may not get to 160 lb like I was back when I was cycling on the prairies year round, but I'm quite happy about where I've got to.

No comments: