Saturday, August 02, 2008

New Shoes, Finally

I knew I was overdue for new ones, but I don't know how much overdue. Old shoes wear out slowly, so that things start to not feel right, hurt even, without any indication why. But in retrospect, worn out shoes were the obvious reason.

So this morning I got me a spiffy pair of Asics GT-2130 shoes. These I like, even better than the New Balance when they were new. Maybe even better than the second generation Nike shoes I had way, way back. Naturally, there were some little aches and pains to start, while the body and feet adjust, but by the end we were pals.

Anyway, I was out during the noon hour, which is a whole different feel on the weekend than on a weekday. It felt deserted, with even the Shakespeare players almost acting for themselves. It's too nice for the crowds to stay away thought, and it'll get busier this afternoon.

I trucked along the north side, beside Memorial, to start. Easy running, nice and low key. Just the way a weekend run should be. The return was about the same, and it was a little strange even to be out in such gorgeous weather with not too many others about.

Even the promenade was quiet, until right at Eau Claire, at the Jaipur bridge. Much more like it, but not quite. Across the island and up the hill. Along the bluff, then north a couple of blocks. That's it.

Distance: 10.22 km. Time: 56:53
Average speed: 5:33 min/km (10.8 kph).

Shoes: Asics GT-2130.

Weather: Sunny and 18C.

No comments: