Sunday, August 17, 2008

Trying to Beat the Heat

Since the forecast is for hot days ahead, I thought I'd try to get out soon as possible and maybe beat the heat. Which works against my philosophy of no alarm clocks on the weekend.

But I did wake up fairly early and was out as soon as I was awake. It wasn't hot, or even warm, but for that time of morning, I would expect it to be a little cooler. Even so, very nice.

It was a fast run, time-flow-wise. I didn't think I was too head-down and focused, but time and distance went by pretty quick. I found myself not really feeling fast, but kind of moving along. Hard to describe.

Along the way someone returned my good morning by name. I have no idea who she was, since I wasn't really focused on her, and she was gone past before I realized I'd heard my name.

They have torn up the pedestrian path from the Parkdale-3rd Avenue corner to the public washrooms at Edworthy. I took to the grass for a while, then on to the other path.

Across the bridge at Edworthy, and over the tracks. The gate was locked across the path, and barriers were up. A sign said the path was closed. I took the detour through the bush, and was on it. Or rather where the path was supposed to be. Several yards had been removed, and a trench made for the new one. There were several chuncks of path missing along the bottom of Spruce Cliff, and a lot of barriers to go around.

Once I got past the rail crossing, it seems to get easier again. I found myself in that long-stride, lopping gait that I used to use when I first started running. It seems easier on the legs, and faster somehow. But I feel it more in the walk breaks.

Just past Crowchild, I began to meet the Sunday morning groups, and it happened again. Someone in one of the groups waved at me and said good morning by name. Again, no idea who.

For the rest of the run, just pushing through, not thinking, not aware, just present and being in the run. Hitting The Path Under The Stairs with almost nothing, so taking it at a long slow shuffle. And then finishing down 4th Street, pushing the long stride even longer.


Distance: 15.82. Time: 1:32:03
Average speed: 5:48 min/km. (10.0 kph)
Rest distance: 1.44 m. Rest time: 10:00.
Total distance: 17.26 km. Total time: 1:42:03.

Shoes: Asics GT-2130.

Weather: Partly cloudy and 15C at the start, 19C at the end.

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

I found it comfortable starting out at 7:30 this morning but very warm at finish up time!

So many folks saying hi this morning! I found myself returning the greetings more then ever! Guess I felt great!