Sunday, August 24, 2008

Shoulda Took the Day Off

It wasn't that bad as far as running goes. But something I had for lunch yesterday did not agree. I felt rotten last night, didn't sleep, and felt rotten this morning. I wanted to be out on the paths early in case it got hot, but couldn't get going until late. Bleah.

But I did get out. Down and across the bridge to Prince's Island, passing a wagon-load of seven very young puppies. Labrador cross, I'd guess, and if they're as young as they seemed, they are going to be very big dogs when they're grown. Cute.

After that I was on to the promenade, and just keeping moving. Not a lot of energy, and my innards weren't in the best of shape. Much of the run was just keeping it moving. It wasn't hard, but nothing memorable enough, aside from the puppies to be noteable. By the time I had gone three quarters of the way, I would have been quite happy to be done.

But I got through that, and finished.

From yesterday, Department of Double Takes:

She stood on the sidewalk, a stunning thirty-something, all tanned legs and blond hair. Lean and athletic, in running shorts, Lululemon top and green accentuated running shoes, she stood tall on one leg, the other pulled tight heel-to-buttock in a perfectly balanced quad stretch. The Nordic angles of her face were accentuated by the hollowing of her cheeks as she pulled mightily on a cigarette.

Wha…?

She looked like a runner, acted like a runner, dressed like a runner. But that cigarette just didn't fit. And for her, it wasn't just a casual puff or two. It was suck, inhale, exhale, suck, inhale, exhale, denying entry into her lungs of any air untainted by combustion particulates.

Three blocks past, I was still glancing over my shoulder. It was a jarring juxtaposition.

Distance: 16.50. Time: 1:33:36
Average speed: 5:40 min/km. (10.6 kph)
Rest distance: 941.0 m. Rest time: 10:00.
Total distance: 17.44 km. Total time: 1:43:36.

Shoes: Asics GT-2130.

Weather: Mainly sunny and 20C at the start, cloudy and 24C at the end.

No comments: