Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The End of a Very Good Day

A very busy day, too. The new job is getting a little intense, and busy, and surprisingly, fun. My to-do list seemed to grow exponentially, yet I felt productive, and I seemed to get a lot done.

And with all that behind me, a good run was a perfect way to start the evening.

The heat wasn't nearly as intense as yesterday. I got to the bluff to find a veritable traffic jam on The Stairs, with all the fitness groups on it. Even The Path was busy.

I got down to the bottom, weaving through the crowd, and on to the bridge over Memorial, then down the ramp and on the path by the river. It was a quieter run, given the time of day, but still busy. I thought about cutting it short at 14th, but felt good enough to continue to Crowchild again.

At the soccer field by the Boy Scouts clubhouse, there's what I think is an osprey nest on one of the light poles. And one agitated osprey squawking furiously over the soccer game going on below.

On the other side of the river, it was quieter, with a few runners and cyclists. Even the promenade was quiet until I got close to Eau Claire. A big crowd covered the lawn in front of the Shakespeare stage, and the foot bridge back to the curling club was busy too.

I pushed hard up The Path to the top of the bluff. I think I'm strengthening a little as this climb seems to be faster, if not easier.

And then home for dinner.

Distance: 10.25 km. Time: 57:34
Average speed: 5:36 min/km (10.7 kph).

Shoes: Asics GT-2130.

Weather: Cloudy and 24C

No comments: