Sunday, April 01, 2007

Wotta Run!

It seems to happen a lot, that I get out there and lose myself in the act of running. The miles go by and I don't even notice. I get to the turn around point before I know it, and it seems so effortless. Even the little aches that start up around the two hour point seem to belong where they are.

Snow almost all the way today. It started about fifteen or twenty minutes into it, and on the outbound leg, there were moments when you had to look at a dark background to see the flakes. But after I turned around on Bow Cresent, just past 65th Street, it socked right in, with the visibility dropping to about a kilometre. And it was off and on like that for the rest of the run.

The ice below Spruce Cliff is still pretty treacherous in places, but the sand they put along the side is thickening up as it melts into the lower layers, so that gives me a path to run through it. And someone has cut channels through the ice, straight across the path, so the spring water can drain without resurfacing the existing ice.

Not a busy morning, as the greyness and the snow probably kept some people inside, but still busy enough. Those that were out there were obviously happy to be there, and happy that spring is finally here. Great energy.

Today's run:
Distance: 25.39 km. Time: 2:21:19. Average speed: 10.8 kph.
Rest distance: 1.58 km. Rest time: 15:00.
Total distance: 26.97 km. Total time: 2:36:19.

Shoes: Saucony Grid Phoenix (Yellow) A.

Weather: Light snow and -3C.

I'll find out if I'm in the New York City Marathon in about 74 days.
The New York City Marathon is in 216 days.
The Calgary Marathon is in 97 days.

No comments: