Sunday, April 08, 2007

Spring is Back!

Well, it's back for the day, at least. But what a lovely day!

I ran westward again, this time crossing to the north side of the river at Crowchild, instead of trying to cross all that treacherous ice below Spruce Cliff. There were lots of runners out, likely because of the sunshine, which made it fun. They thinned out after Edworthy, and almost disappeared once I got on Bow Cresent.

At the end of Bow Cresent, a paved path continues to the river and under the train bridge. I followed it along the river to a foot bridge I had no idea was there. Just across the river, my last walk interval started at the end of the bridge, by a sign announcing that I was entering the Bowmont Natural Environment Park. Who knew?

Turning around, I retraced my steps. At two hours, I found that I was within twenty metres of where I was at one hour, meaning I was being incredibly consistent as far as speed. The gap was a little larger at two and a half hours, but still within a hundred metres of where I was at the thirty minute mark - almost right under the Crowchild bridge.

At two hours and forty-some minutes, things were beginning to hurt a little. But I still felt really good. I climbed The Path Under The Stairs with a pretty decent energy, considering, and had a nice strong finish. I have to compare this run to one I had a couple of years ago, before I had ever run a marathon. I'd done a compareable run, and I remember the emotional realization that a four hour marathon was within reach. Today, I'm a little more blasé about that kind of thing, but still impressed with myself.

Today's run:
Distance: 28.62 km. Time: 2:42:01. Average speed: 10.6 kph.
Rest distance: 2.03 km. Rest time: 17:02.
Total distance: 30.65 km. Total time: 2:59:03.

Shoes: Saucony Grid Phoenix (Yellow) A.

Weather: Sunny and 0C to start, but some high cloud began to roll in after a couple of hours, and the temperature climbed to 6C.

I'll find out if I'm in the New York City Marathon in about 67 days.
The New York City Marathon is in 209 days.
The Calgary Marathon is in 90 days.

No comments: