Sunday, October 08, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

Today, the motivation is to burn off that calorie surplus that I gained last night at a friend's home. We had a lovely gathering of friends around a gorgeous turkey dinner. A great time!

This morning, the fall chill is definitely there. I opted for tights, but I probably could have done shorts. I think it was actually the first really frost this year, with the overnight temperature dropping to -3C.

This morning the kilometre markers were out and the flour arrows were on the path. I think it was the Alzheimer's Society's Memory Walk and Run. I was out long before the race started, but volunteers were preparing a water station at the sculpture garden along Pumphouse Road. As a 10 KM run, they set up an out and back course, staying on the south side of the river, and I was soon past their turn-around point.

Not long past that, just coming up to the first railroad crossing, I heard the train whistle give a short blast. At that point, I kicked into a sprint, and managed to cross shortly after the crossing bells started. It was that motivation that I get by knowing that washroom is just across the Edworthy bridge. I didn't think I could wait for a train that long to cross, and then run another ten or fifteen minutes before I'd gain relief.

Anyway, the rest of the run was pretty uneventful. I was taking it easy this morning, not really trying to push or hold back or anything. I think I'm still in recovery from that half marathon last week. It was quiet out there too. Not nearly as many out, but still busy enough to keep the energy up.

Today's run:
Distance: 16.39 km. Time: 1:31:31. Average speed: 10.7 kph.
Rest distance: 941.7 m. Rest time: 10:00.
Total distance: 17.33 km. Total time: 1:41:31.

Shoes: Saucony Grid Phoenix (Blue)

Weather: Partly cloudy and -3C, warming up to 6C over the run.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

brrrrr... hey, are there any results yet from the last half marathon you did?

Nony