Sunday, October 29, 2006

First Wintertime Run of the Season

Boy, did the weather ever turn over the last couple of days. Three days ago I was in shorts and t-shirt, and today I'm in thermal tights and windbreaker. But it was rather nice for running anyway. If the wind hadn't been there, it would have been perfect.

I headed out and down The Path Under The Stairs, wondering if there was ice under the snow or not. The pavement had been warm still when the snow started and there was a layer of ice underneath, but it was rough and crumbly for the most part. Some places it was still wet slush on the bottom layer.

The bridge to Prince's Island was difficult. Since there's no mass under the walkway, like there is on land, to hold some heat, it didn't have any ice underneath at all. But it was better than ankle deep and soft, and so was tricky to run on since the snow would slide out from underfoot.

In fact there had been no plowing until I got to the main promenade at Eau Claire, where I had to dodge one of those rotating brush things on a Bobcat. He was just getting started, although it seems like something had been done a couple of hours before.

Not too many runners out, but those that were, were enthusiastic and upbeat. Lots of loud good mornings and waves, and me no less enthused and upbeat. It was great fun.

I thought perhaps that once I was past Crowchild on the south side, that it would be tougher running, since there is never any plowing done west of there, but the couple of hundred runners and walkers that had already been out had broken trail. It seemed that the farther into the bush below Spruce Cliff I got, the less packed the path was, but the snow was coming down pretty heavy too.

On the wildlife side, I was approaching a couple walking the other way, and between us, a bushy tailed coyote left the path for the forest. They are likely drawn by the partridge (I think) that seem to be everywhere along the river this year.

A quick bathroom stop at north side parking lot by Edworthy and I was into plowed paths again. I'm dead certain I ran a fairly impressive negative split, simply because the unplowed path in the first half slowed me down. Overall my time was slower than it has been - go figure!

The Path Under The Stairs was a slow stretch on the way back, too. The snow had gotten deeper and the steepness of the path was exacerbated by that. Slow going, but good workout.

Today's run:
Distance: 16.40 km. Time: 1:33:14. Average speed: 10.6 kph.
Rest distance: 963.7 m. Rest time: 10:00.
Total distance: 17.37 km. Total time: 1:43:14.

Shoes: Saucony Grid Phoenix (Blue)

Weather: -8C and snow, consistent the whole time I was out there.

No comments: