Sunday, October 22, 2006

Frosty Run

A beautiful crisp, frosty morning out. It's one of the main reasons I run on Sunday mornings, to experience that wonderful clean early morning kind of thing.

I was almost uncomfortably cold for the first mile or so, which according to something I read recently, means I'm dressed about right. But I think whoever wrote that didn't take into account how fast it can warm up when the sun comes up. So by the time I was half way, it was beginning to get sweaty.

The first half of the run was on the south side of the river, and even with the trees bare and leafless, it was still mostly in the shadows. Crossing over to the north side of the river at Edworthy, I'm suddenly in the sun, and it's directly ahead of me.

It was the usual kind of run for me this morning. Nothing special about it, but special in it's own way. I love the Sunday runs for the people out on the paths, and for the sense of accomplishment after the sixteen or seventeen kilometres that I usually manage.

I tried a different way at the end. When I came up to the 10th Street bridge, I suddenly decided to head up 10th Street, and then go west at 3rd Avenue into Sunnyside. Actually I turned at 4th Avenue, then had to backtrack. About three blocks in, a paved path climbs a little into the trees at the bottom of the bluff, and a ways in there is a path that angles gently across the face of the bluff to Cresent Road at the top, coming out right at 4th Street. It's a long gentle slope, and a darn site easier than The Path Under The Stairs. But it cuts about a kilometre off the run, too.

Today's run:
Distance: 15.66 km. Time: 1:24:19. Average speed: 11.1 kph.
Rest distance: 885.5 m. Rest time: 9:00.
Total distance: 16.54 km. Total time: 1:33:19.

Shoes: Saucony Grid Phoenix (Blue)

Weather: Sunny and -3C as the sun came up, but I finished at 6C.

No comments: