Sunday, July 30, 2006

Where the Heck is Summer Going?

It's the end of July, almost, and it seems like I haven't accomplished anything yet this summer. Not that I had planned anything to accomplish, but you know...

Today I did the usual long run to Edworthy Park. Same scenery, same run. Still a lot of fun. I seem to be enjoying the runs a lot more the last couple of months, and I'm not sure why. I think it's because of the people out there - lots of smiles and good mornings and hellos.

The return was by the Centre Street bridge. With the Calgary Folk Festival going on Prince's Island, there were too many people to easily get across that way. And it was busy down there. Even by late morning, the crowds are big, and performances are underway.

One cool thing that I didn't get a close look at due to the crowd, was a man on a horse. He was Indian, with a beautifully embroidered gold suit and turban, and the horse was decked out in a similarly ornate blanket. I didn't notice a saddle, but something must have been there to hold up a huge umbrella, embroidered in the same way. Hindu or Sikh wedding? I'm afraid I'm much too ignorant of Eastern customs and celebrations to tell. But he was attracting quite a crowd, many armed with cameras.

It was another great run. Not only am I having fun on these runs, but I have a lot of energy on them, and it shows in the stats.


Today's run:
Distance: 16.89 km. Time: 1:28:11. Average speed: 11.5 kph.
Rest distance: 943.6 m. Rest time: 9:00
Total distance: 17.84 km. Total time: 1:37:11

Weather: Cloudy and 16 C at the start, and climbing to 19C by the end. Just enough of a light breeze, too. Perfect summer running weather!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh right... you haven't accomplished anything except the Vancouver Marathon and the Calgary 1/2 Marathon... in a 2 month period no less... I'd say that's plenty!

Nony