Saturday, May 21, 2005

Long Run and Meet the New Neighbour

Up a little early this morning, so I got an early start. Today, it was down 4th Street to Cresent Road, across the Centre Street bridge, then east toward the Fort. From there it was follow the Elbow River.

Going by Lindsay Park, I heard this weird hissing noise, like a truck's air brakes lightly applied. I finally identified it as a cranky Canada goose in the bushes with a rather large brood heading toward the river. Actually, once I started to look around, there are hundreds of goslings around, being herded by crabby adult geese.

Across the river at 25th Avenue, then along Elbow Drive until 32nd Avenue, where a creaky suspension bridge crosses the Elbow to Rideau Road. A couple of blocks south is a dead end and the path takes up again along the river to Stanley Park. Finally under Elbow Drive and along Riverdale Avenue to 8th Street, where I turned around and headed back.

About a hundred metres before I was back on Rideau Road, I encountered a coyote, which was watching something intently through a gap in the bush toward the river. It totally ignored me, and had run down to the river by the time I got to that point, but looking in that direction, across the river was a fluffy little white dog romping in the yard across the way. Hmmmmm.

Today's run:
Distance: 23.39 km. Time: 2:21:24. Average speed: 9.9 kph.
Rest distance: 1.61 km. Rest time: 15:00.
Total distance: 25.00 km. Total time: 2:36:24.

Weather: Sunny and 9C, warming up to 12C at the end. Windy, too, coming from the west at 30 kph. I can feel that on my face after being in it for two and a half hours.

When I got home, my new neighbour Ryan and his dog Sabotage were in the back yard, and we chatted a little. Seems like a decent guy, and for him, I suppose today is moving day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a route where you could practice LOTS of agility training!!!

Nony