Saturday, May 14, 2005

An Inspired Run

I think I'm still carrying the joy and inspiration from running with Nony yesterday. Today wasn't an effortless run, especially toward the end, but I felt I had so much to draw on to get to the end.

Moving to a new home is such a pain, especially when it's half way done. I really didn't eat last night, which was bad because I usually go for a big pasta feed to prep for the Saturday distance run. And this morning I discovered I hadn't brought my hot cereal from the old place yet. But I had made sure to bring the microwave so I could make it. Sheesh. The upshot is I didn't get any really good energy foods. Still had a good breakfast with what I had.

My new place is about a mile and a half farther north of the river, so it takes a while to get back down to that area.

From home (the new one), I went west to 10th street, down past SAIT all the way to the river. Then I followed the river west all the way past Shouldice Park, and even up to the footbridge across to Bowness. Which surprised me, because last time I got that far, I was on the 80 minutes out run time, and this time I was there in less than 70 minutes.

I turned around there and headed back the way I came. When I got to Crowchild, I crossed to the south side of the river and headed toward the Eau Claire promenade.

About that time a lovely lady caught up to me and began asking about the path system along the river. She was visiting from Vernon for a couple of weeks. It was a nice interlude but after a couple of minutes it was time for a very welcome walk break, so I wished her a good day. I had been pushing pretty hard, and it was startling how effortlessly she had caught up to me. She talked like she was taking a leisurely stroll, while I was huffing and puffing pretty hard. The ego was only slightly bruised, though.

At Prince's Island, I crossed the river, headed up the path under The Stairs, and down to 4th street, which took me all the way home.

Today's run:
Distance: 23.53 km. Time: 2:09:11. Average speed: 11.0 kph.
Rest distance: 1.58 km. Rest time: 14:00.
Total distance: 25.21km. Total time: 2:23:11.

Weather: Sunny and a little cool to begin with, but warming up quickly.

No comments: