Sunday, March 06, 2005

A Lovely Sunday Morning

The weather people changed their mind again. Last night they were talking rain and snow, and this morning it was mostly clear, and just a lovely, lovely morning. It was even warmer than the other evening, when I wore the shorts.

But oh, gosh, my leg muscles are pretty much depleted this morning from yesterday's long run. Which is fine - the Sunday runs are just to keep things from seizing up.

This morning, I went east again, along 8th Avenue to Nose Creek, then south this time, on the path that parallels it. Just before I got to Memorial Drive, I turned west, and ran through the zoo parking lot and past the entrance to the zoo train station. Back to 12th Street, left on 1st Avenue, then right on 8th Street, and left again on 4th Avenue. And then north on 5th Street.

5th Street between 4th and 7th Avenues, probably climbs 40 metres in those three short blocks. The walkways alternate between sidewalks and stairways, it's that steep, and while I did run it, it was more of a kind of baby-step shuffle. It felt like a great fun workout once I got to the top, but in the middle of it, I was thinking I was nuts to try this. My legs muscles felt like there was nothing left, and I was actually a bit surprised that I made it.

Today's run:
Distance: 5.85 km. Time: 36:49. Speed: 9.5 kph.
Rest distance: 364.5 m. Rest time: 4:00.
Total distance: 6.21 km. Total time: 40:49.

Weather: Mostly cloudy and 5C, according to the Environment Canada web site, but it was more clear than anything when I was out there.

A couple of things coming up: I'm running the St. Patrick's Day 10K next weekend, which I'm looking forward to. And in the Banff to Calgary Relay, I'm running the first leg, 22 km from the tourist info office in Banff, to the park gate. This is the longest leg of the race, though certainly not the toughest.

My thoughts originally were that they wanted someone fast to start, but apparently there's more interest among the team in not having to be up so early. Fair enough. Actually will make it more fun if we aren't going to be too serious about it. The only drawback is I have to be in Banff ridiculously early for the 7:00 start. In any case, I am really looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Shane said...

Way to go! Glad you're getting hooked on the races. It forces you to run! I just entered two more for the month of April. I guess that makes 3 in total for April! Keep it up!