Thursday, March 10, 2005

167 Steps

Finally managed to count them. 167 steps, 10 landings. Nice calorie burn after you've been going a few miles.

Back to the beginning: Straight down 8th Avenue to Centre Street, then south to the bottom of the bridge. Loop the loop off the bridge to the path that runs underneath and west, all the way down to the C-Train bridge near the 10th Street bridge. Across the river there, and back along Memorial until the foot bridge to Prince's Island, except I go north over Memorial, to the base of those stairs.

There was a guy a couple of landings in front of me, which was good. I caught up to him pretty fast, then let him set the pace. If I'd have continued past him at the pace I was going, I probably would have made it to the top, but not in any shape to actually continue running. But as it was, I stepped off the last landing with enough legs to just about go back to the pace I was keeping down by the river. Then a zig or a zag over to 8th Avenue and all the way home.

Pretty telling interval speeds too: 10.7, 12.1(!), 7.8(!!) and 11.4, all in kph. Guess which interval the stair climb was on.

Today's run:
Distance: 5.49 km. Time: 31:48. Speed: 10.4 kph.
Rest distance: 305.6 m. Rest time: 3:00.
Total distance: 5.80 km. Total time: 34:48.

Weather: Sunny and 14C - just a clear blue sky and a beautiful late afternoon sun. Shorts and T-shirt for the first time. Wunnerful.

One minor annoyance: it took forever for the GPS to get satellite lock. I walked about three blocks before it finally settled in.

No comments: