Sunday, June 29, 2008

Slow, slow run

It wasn't quite pointless, but this run was tough. I'd got home early (which is saying I got home really, really late) after getting some sleep at a friends, had some breakfast, and felt that the best thing for what ailed me was a run.

So I got the running stuff on, and out the door. It was slow going to the bluff and down The Path. I crossed Memorial and took the ramp down to the path on the berm by the river. Not really hot yet, but getting there. I wasn't moving fast at all, although I was running. I tried to stay in shade as much as I could.

There were the usual crowds though there seemed to be not as many people out. Either out of town for an extra long weekend, or wimping out from the heat. I took a water break at Edworthy, then crossed the river.

I'd toyed with the idea of running up the road that comes down from Wildwood to the parking lot on the south side of the river. But all I could remember was how long it was, and opted to climb at the other end, by the road into the Shaganappi. Either way it was gonna be a tough climb, given the way I was feeling.

The trail along the tracks and the bottom of Spruce Cliff was almost all in sun, since they lined up at that time of morning. It felt like I was going slower and slower as time went on, and the heat was becoming a factor.

Near Crowchild, I crossed the tracks and took the trail up the hill. I was barely running by now, more shuffling up the steep trail than anything. I reached the small parking area at the top, and ran the short way from that to the corner. From there it was west up the long hill to the entrance to the Shaganappi golf course, still shuffling.

At 26th Street, I ran toward Bow Trail, and reached it just as the walk light turned, so no slowing down. Half a block further, I aspirated saliva (that inhaling spit), and my run was done. I was only a few blocks from the end anyway, so I walked the remaining distance, choking and coughing. After a couple of blocks, I was down the a raspy wheeze.

I got to my friend's place, picked up my car, and here I am.

Distance: 12.25 km. Time: 1:17:02
Average speed: 6:17 min/km (9.6 kph).

Shoes: New Balance 1061.

Weather: Sunny and 25C at the start, but it ended at 29C.

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

You toughed through it! Good going!

Running in this heat has been brutal! Let's hope for not so hot temperatures on Stampede Half Marathon Race Day!