Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Woohoo - I Kept Up!

The gang that invited me to run in the Banff Jasper Relay also invited me to join them in getting together for runs during the week. So tonight I took them up on it. I also got to pick up my shirt from the race - a very lovely brilliant green with long sleeves and the spiffy B-J logo. I love it!

I met up with some of them, and we walked down 10th Street to the river. After crossing Memorial, we were on the path and running. We immediately crossed to the promenade by the C-Train bridge and went east for the short zoo loop.

They set a pretty good pace, certainly faster than I usually run. But not so challenging that I was left in the dust. For the first while, I was feeling quite good, and quite happy that I was staying with them.

Time went by quickly. We got to Centre Street, and the path under the bridge was under water. Around that and on toward the East Village. There's a heck of a lot of construction going on there, that I had no idea about. A lot of landscaping and stuff.

Across the foot bridge to the zoo island (it must have a name...ah - St. Patrick's Island) where there's some work going on there in installing some lighting along the path. There were a couple of deep puddles to dodge at the next bridge, then onto the path beside Memorial. That's were I felt my calves. I was a little concerned, but the stiffness went away after a few minutes.

The rain started about the time we passed the Bridgeland train station, but was done about when we crossed Edmonton Trail. That was another underpass closed and under water.

Straight back toward 10th Street, and I was becoming aware of how hard I'd been pushing. Being with a group pushes you a lot more that running alone. Still, my breathing was even, and I was keeping pace. The aches that had popped up had gone away again. I felt pretty good.

At 10th, we all slowed to a walk and hit the stop buttons on our GPSs. Then a quick trip to pick up my race shirt, and across the street for a cuppa tea.

Great group, and a fun run. They've invited me to run again later this week, so I'll be there.

Distance: 8.47 km. Time: 41:23
Average speed: 12.3 kph (4:53 min/km).

Shoes: New Balance 1061.

Weather: Cloudy and 11C.

No comments: