Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Jockying Schedules

Got a short week planned since I'm travelling on Friday. The Loganateur and me are gonna do some hangin' out. I also have tomorrow evening filled, and that's forced me to push the mid week run up a day, so it was a solo.

I got out the door almost as soon as I was home from work, and headed toward the bluff. Tonight I felt like mixing it up a little. When I got to the top of The Path Under The Stairs, instead of doing the hairpin turn on to it, I kept going toward Centre Street.

A nice long downward slope across the river, and then a little switchback near the bottom off the side of the bridge and onto the riverside path. You can tell it's finally summer out. So many commuters are on foot, walking home from work, and I'm a little envious of that.

Anyway, the runs from last week seemed to have set the pace. I was fast and even though I tried to throttle it back, I was pushing pretty hard, for me. More crowded on the promenade than it's been all year, and at 10th Street, a surfer was doing his thing on the river. The flood from a couple of years ago changed the river bed near the shore so that when the water is high like it is now, there's a good sized standing wave. He had a water-skier type trapeze thing anchored to the shore and was surfing the wave. Kinda neat.

I crossed at 14th, bounding up the slope to the bridge. I mean bounding. Breathing was heavy but even, and the legs were feeling strong. On the other side I took to the dirt path by the paved pedestrian one, as usual.

At the C-Train bridge I decided to change it up again, and took the stairs up to the pedestrain overpass across Memorial. On the other side is was under the C-Train and along side, heading deep into Sunnyside. At the train station, I turned onto 3rd Avenue, and then onto the trail along the bottom of the bluff that heads back toward The Path Under The Stairs.

I took a dirt path through the grass, one that slashes across the face of the bluff and pops up at 4th Street. And from there is was a few more blocks before I slowed to a cool-down walk.

Distance: 6.85 km. Time: 35:19
Average speed: 11.6 kph (5:09 min/km).

Shoes: New Balance 1061.

Weather: Cloudy and 22C.

No comments: