Sunday, April 13, 2008

Where'd the Week Go?

I haven't been able to get out all week, what with all kinds of stuff going on. There were some medical issues with a family member earlier in the week, but it's all better now. But it was exhausting all the same.

So today was the first run in a week, and I probably should have taken it a little easier. But I went for the distance anyway. It's actually hot out, and people are everywhere.

I was running the south side of the river dodging walkers and bikers and bladers, just enjoying the run. The cloud had been hovering all morning, with the chinook arch holding a little to the west, and ever so slowly edging east. By the time I got to Crowchild and crossed back to the north side, it had slid far enough to let the sun come down.

I'd called Heather yesterday to see if she was up for joining me. She'd been in Vancouver and Mexico and a few other places the last few weeks, so we haven't run together for awhile. Since I hadn't heard back from her I figured she was either tied up or still out of town. So it was with some surprise that I met her about two kilometres into the return leg from Edworthy.

She'd been busy all weekend and hadn't got my message until quite late, and also thought I'd be out in the morning, so hadn't tried to call. She joined me on the return run and we caught up on what's been happening with each other for the last month or so.

By the time we reached 14th Street, I was in some pain. I've had stomach cramps before on runs, those nasty stitches that stab in the ribs. Usually they go away after ten minutes or so, but today they were hanging on. Perhaps it was in sympathy of Heather's reaction to all that spicy food when she was in Mexico a couple of weeks ago, but it got quite difficult to keep going.

We got to the foot bridge to Prince's Island, and shared a sweaty hug. And then I walked home. I can only remember one other time that I haven't completed a run, but I just didn't feel up to running The Path from that point.

Still a great run, though, with good speed and distance.

Distance: 14.74 km. Time: 1:23:16 Average speed: 10.6 kph. (5:26 min/km)
Rest distance: 1.05 km. Rest time: 9:00.
Total distance: 15.79 km. Total time: 1:32:16.

Shoes: New Balance 1061.

Weather: Mostly cloudy and 18C to start, ending mostly cloudy and 22C.

1 comment:

Revrunner said...

Ugh! Running and Mexican food. Much as I love the latter, they really don't go well together. I've always had trouble running after a plate of my favorite enchiladas rancheras. Doesn't keep me from trying, though. :-)