Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Crappy and Cold

Not really, but it sure isn't shorts and t-shirt weather. That doesn't help when the motivation is just not happening. It's been hard enough to get out when it's nice. Add to that my consternation that I've had to admit that those extra calories that accumulated over the Christmas holiday are still hanging on, and it just ain't been the most uplifting of days.

But I was out there. Down to the bluff, and as I approached, at least five runners went by, so I was thinking that hey, I'm not so crazy after all. But it was one of those bootcamp type groups that hang out on The Stairs. Going down The Path, I encountered a few more goose stepping uphill, including one with a somewhat confused looking golden retriever.

Across Memorial and down the ramp to the trail on the berm, it was much quieter. I was out a little late, but I thought I'd run into more of the after-dinner crowd. I guess the weather was keeping the less enthused at home.

I crossed at 14th, ran along Bow Trail and the promenade to Eau Claire, and just to dodge the bootcamp traffic, kept going east and then up on the Centre Street bridge. It adds about 400 m to the run, but I also get to avoid The Path Under The Stairs, and aside from the traffic, sometimes it's just a nasty steep bitch. Well, and I was feeling a little lazy about hills, too.

Anyway, I was back home shortly after, and stretching on my front step. It didn't seem so cold and crabby then. Running does that.

Today's run
Distance: 7.40 km. Time: 41:56.
Average speed: 10.6 kph (5:40 min/km).

Shoes: New Balance 1061.

Weather: Cloudy and 1C.

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

You were probably hoping those extra Christmas calorie gifts would be gone by the time you could donne shorts and t-shirts!

Last week I packed away my winter running attire...had to dig them out for yesterday's run! Ugh! I should know better this is Calgary. My only motivation to run is that I am entered in a race.

Bring on the sunshine, warmth, dry clear pathways to increase our motivation so we can accomplish our goals, whatever they may be!