Monday, March 02, 2009

In Like a Lamb?

I'm finally getting back to my routine, after wussing out due to the weather. As cold snaps go, the last week wasn't really very cold, but cold enough compared with some of the weather we've been having this winter.

Friday's run was bothered by some tightness in the right shin and ankle. Today, there was no sign of that. I felt great by the time I reached the top of the bluff.

I kept to the usual route that I've been following the past few runs, heading down the path to the Centre Street bridge. By the first walk break, on the promenade just past the bridge, my face was feeling the cold breeze. That lasted less than a minute into my second interval.

Even though it was a little chilly, there were a lot of runners out. Quite a few large groups, and lots of pairs and singles. And it started to feel quite comfortably warm , too, although that might have just been from the exertion and there being in the sun with no wind.

After crossing back to the north side of the river at Crowchild, the traffic really began to pick up. There were times when I would catch up with someone, and have to wait for oncoming traffic before passing. But I love it when people are out on the trails.

As usual, I circled Angel's Cafe and headed back downtown. The very next walk break, I unzipped my windbreaker and rolled down the collar.

And again, as in the past few distance runs, I started to pick up speed. In the last half of the run, I find I am pushing hard enough to almost break my breathing. My pace is around 5 min/km or better, and it feels great, too.

I took The Stairs as usual, and that is where things came to a near stop. The night before I was out with friends, and actually dancing for the first time in ages. Apparently climbing stairs and dancing use the same muscle groups, which are different from those used for running. The stair climbing muscles were needing some recovery time!

Still, at the top, I was running right off The Stairs (OK, slowly, but still running...) and I had a rather nice finish.

Distance: 16.21 Time: 1:27:18
Average speed: 5:23 min/km. (11.58 kph)
Rest distance: .8684 km. Rest time: 9:00.
Total distance: 17.08 km. Total time: 1:36:18.

Shoes: Asics GT-2130.
Today's earworm: My Wife Thinks You're Dead, Junior Brown.
L n K
Weather: Mainly sunny and -9C, climbing to -5C.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will wager it is more like "in like a lion"

Nony