Sunday, March 22, 2009

24 Hours

That's how long ago it was when I was wearing my light fleece, the one on which the wind resistance would be tripled by a single layer of cheesecloth, and I was thinking, it's too warm for it. Twenty four hours later, I'm coming home after a long run, with -10 wind chill and beat from plowing snow as deep as mid-calf.

It you don't need to drive today, it's gorgeous. It would probably also be a good day if you really liked shoveling snow. I've done my walk three times this morning.

I picked my way to the street, where it's packed down a little, and made my way to my starting point. A little bit of traffic had packed some ruts, so it wasn't to bad. I stayed on the street along the bluff, just cuz I wanted to avoid the deep stuff, but once getting to the top of The Path, that was impossible.

I wanted to take the Centre Street bridge, so headed down Nony's Awful Little Hill. With snow at 30 cm or more, I ended up adopting a high-stepping prancing pace, that was more about lifting out of the mire than move forward. Slow going.

At Centre Street, there was evidence of a snow plow's passing, and the going was much easier. Occasional slushy spots necessitated the prancing again, to keep my feet dry, and the ramp down to the promenade appeared to be where they dumped the scrappings form the bridge.

I climbed over that snowbank, and once on the promenade, it was pretty decent. There'd been some plowing, although only one pass so it was a little narrow for a bit.

The wind was a little blowy, but not overly so. I had wondered about wind chill, but never felt it much.

Running was good, until just past the 10th Street bridge (which is at 9th Street on the south side of the river) where the plowing had stopped. I probably should have backtracked and crossed the river, but there had been a lot of foot traffic that had packed a trail through the snow.

It wasn't too bad running, although it's kind of like running a tightrope, since the trail is narrow. And it was a little slippery. By the time I got to the 14th Street bridge, I'd had enough, and plodded through the slush on that bridge to the north side. From there it was all freshly plowed.

Tons of traffic too. I think they were all groups training for various races, and all quite large. By the time I got to Extreme Bean, though, everyone disappeared, and it seemed I was the only soul out there until Angel's Cafe.

The last interval around the turn around was when this speed thing kicked in for me again. The next interval was under 5:00/km as were two more after that, L n K. I seem to get into this kind of head down, narrow focused place, and time and distance just slip by.

The Stairs, of course, slowed me down, but not like I thought they would, and at the top I was running as soon as I was on pavement. After that, it'sa short sprint to my finish line.

Distance: 16.42 Time: 1:29:03
Average speed: 5:25 min/km. (11.78 kph)
Rest distance: .8414 km. Rest time: 9:00.
Total distance: 17.26 km. Total time: 1:38:03.

Shoes: Asics GT-2130.
Today's earworm: But He Don't by Kim Barlow, followed by Sanitarium Shuffle by Tommy Emmanuel, then Cadillac Baby by Colin James.

Weather: Light snow and -5C all the way.

2 comments:

Revrunner said...

Wow! -10. Nothing like that down here in Virginia. Today was sunny and 64 degrees. Women were running in their shorts and halter tops.

Anonymous said...

Jeez Kel, that's dedication! Drove to Elbow Falls on Saturday and enjoyed wearing a tank and a hoodie, and then woke up to all the snow... crazy, I tell ya!

Nony