Friday, March 06, 2009

Chills, No Spills

It was a cold windy evening, with an early March cold snap reminding us that winter is still here. It took some doing, but I convinced myself that I needed to get out there and run a few klicks.

It wasn't so much cold as windy, and that wind was biting. From the north, it was behind me as I started out, and I was hoping that I'd be warmed up enough at the finish to not be bothered running into it.

A cyclist was just ahead of me at the top of The Path Under The Stairs, and played timid all the way down. Not quite slow enough for me to pass, but going just slow enough. At the bottom, he or she (being so bundled up as to hide gender) continued while I turned toward Memorial.

I was still good until I got to the promenade and then turned cross-wind. Yikes. But I was close to being warmed up enough so that I didn't feel it on my face too much.

I was up on the 14th Street bridge in no time, it seemed like. And across and down. This run wasn't a bad run, but the cold and the wind were a bear. I wasn't feeling all that energetic either, and I had stuff to do L n K. At 10th Street, instead of continuing along Memorial, I instead crossed and ran up 10th Street.

I turned at the 2nd Cup toward the C-Train station, and crossed, heading down 3rd Avenue. Deep into Sunnyside, I found the trail that runs along the bottom of the bluff. They built new trails that criss cross the bluff, and I took the one that lead up to 4th Street at Cresent Road. From there it was a short dash to my finish line, and a leisurely walk home.

Distance: 6.35 Time: 36:11
Average speed: 5:41 min/km (10.55 kph).

Shoes: Asics GT-2130.
Today's earworm: None, too cold?

Weather: Cloudy and -13C, with wind chills to -24C.

No comments: