Tuesday, March 03, 2009

What Snow?

This morning was pretty messy weather-wise. It had been raining all night, and had turned to snow by the time I got out the door. Big, fluffy, wet, sticky snowflakes coming down thick, and soaking into my coat. I should have worn my rain coat. The snow was almost ankle deep and mostly slush, and the forecast was saying it would be like this most of the day. I wasn't looking forward to running in that. I hate having wet feet.

By mid-morning, the snow had stopped, and shortly after, the cloud started to break up. By noon, it was a sunny, beautiful day, yet the forecast stuck stubbornly to it's original story.

Queue the almost-emergency meeting called for early afternoon, downtown. That was done quickly, and since I was already half-way home, I called it a day. By mid-afternoon, I was starting a run.

The streets weren't exactly dry, but there was lots of clear pavement. I stayed on the street along the bluff rather than try to run in the slush along the edge. Along Memorial Drive, the trail disappeared under small lakes, and it was tricky skirting along the edge where the snow plows had left a ridge, cuz they weren't all solid.

But it was gorgeous out and sunny. I opted for shorts and tee, and then put on a running vest, which I did not need. Also, since I was so early, I opted for the ten kilometre route, since I haven't done that for awhile.

It was just before home time for most people, so there weren't many runners out. Lots of puddles to go around, or occasionally try to leap across. At the base of The Stairs was an especially large lake, which made The Stairs the only way around. Not a lot in the legs for the climb, but I didn't do too bad.

And the run along Cresent Road and torward home was relatively slush free.

Distance: 9.74 Time: 55:23
Average speed: 5:41 min/km (10.55 kph).

Shoes: Asics GT-2130.
Today's earworm: None, too busy dodging puddles.

Weather: Sunny and 5C.

No comments: