Sunday, November 02, 2008

A Long One

This weather is unbelievable. It's almost summery, except for all the leaves being on the ground, and the brown grass. I haven't done a long run for too long, so today it had to happen.

I find the best time to run on a Sunday is starting mid-morning. Today was right one. The satellites were in perfect alignment, so the GPS was ready right off. At the bluff I ran east, looking over my shoulder at the western horizon. Lots of cloud hanging over the front range, though it didn't look like there was any new snow.

The cloud was moving out, and by the time I reached 14th Street, it was quite sunny. I'd worn my running vest over a long sleeve tee, and that was probably too much. Past Crowchild and heading toward the trail below Spruce Cliff, there were lots of people out. Several large groups of six or more, some running, some walking.

It's been awhile since I've done any distance, so my breathing was a little ragged. It wasn't laboured or anything, but it didn't have the usual rhythm. Between not running much lately, and still fending off a little chest congestion, I was breathing just a little heavier. But it didn't seem to affect my running.

On the return leg from Edworthy, it was just as straight forward. But by 10th Street, I was feeling a little depleted. I did the rest of the run OK, and just for fun, finished by climbing the stairs. At the top, I was done. The rest of the way was a slow walk home.

Distance: 15.50 Time: 1:29:31
Average speed: 5:46 min/km. (10.39 kph)
Rest distance: 924.1 m. Rest time: 9:00.
Total distance: 16.43 km. Total time: 1:38:31.

Shoes: Asics GT-2130.

Weather: Mostly cloudy and 9C at the start, climbing to 13C at the end.

No comments: