Sunday, November 09, 2008

Indian Summer Keeps Coming Back

And that's OK with me. Every day I can run in shorts and tee shirt is a blessing.

I was out about mid morning, and down to the bluff. Not too many people walking there, and only a couple of people using The Stairs. I headed to the top of The Path and ambled down.

On the foot bridge were red cones. Apparently I just missed the start of the Last Chance Half Marathon. The crowd was already well ahead of me and out of site. The promenade was all walkers, strollers and regular runners.

I made good time to 14th Street, and it was after I passed that that I saw the head of the pack on the other side of the river. There was actually quite a crowd.

And then, I passed Crowchild and lost sight due to the trees. It's all bush on the side of the trail and it's pretty thick. And then I was just lost in the beauty of the day.

Lowery Gardens was lovely. I like the way the trial winds along the edge of the river, with a thin band of trees and bush between. At one place is a recently fallen cottonwood, all broken up and mossy.

Where the trail crosses the tracks and follows the base of Spruce Cliff, the sun hadn't reached yet. The crossing and the trail beyond was frosty, and I could feel the chill. More invigorating than anything.

This stretch was pretty busy, too, not the normally nearly deserted place it usually is. Two young moms with a troop of young kids were watching the train go by, as was a man with a camera, running to find a good vantage for the perfect shot.

The gate at the parking lot on the south side of Edworthy was crowded too, and I took the trail through the grass that goes around it. It was actually kind of slippery with mud that stuck to my shoes, and which I shed in clumps for the rest of the run.

On the north side, it was head down and straight back towards downtown. I started this run not feeling my best, and while I was OK, I still wasn't feeling great.

At the stairs, I gamely tried running up the thing, but only managed the first three or four flights. After that, I walked it as fast as I could, pushing myself off each knee at each step.

I launched back into running at the top, or maybe lurched is a better word. That last half kilometre was definitely slower than usual.

Distance: 15.96 Time: 1:31:22
Average speed: 5:43 min/km. (10.48 kph)
Rest distance: 966.6 m. Rest time: 10:00.
Total distance: 16.92 km. Total time: 1:41:22.

Shoes: Asics GT-2130.

Weather: Sunny and 9C at the start, warming to 12C at the end.

No comments: