Sunday, November 23, 2008

Still No Cold Snap

It's been staying remarkably mild, which is very much appreciated by us runners. There were bunches of us out this morning, too. I was out just a little bit later than I wanted to be, due to someone missing a bus and needing a ride to work. No worries about that.

I got home from that, changed immediately, and was out the door in about five minutes. My running neighbour had just walked out ahead of me, so we briefly chatted at the bus stop across the street. She's just starting to taper for the Sacramento Marathon.

Anyway, too cold to chat long in just running tights and a wind breaker, so I got going. As usual, things were a little stiff for the first thirty minutes. By the time I got to Crowchild, I was feeling good.

The trails are in great condition, with either clear pavement or packed snow. Very little ice. I had a stronger than usual start, too, with a strong pace. Lots of runners out, too.

At Edworthy, the bridge had a couple of icy spots. Running traffic really started to pickup, on the north side of the river. Still not like a summer Sunday morning, but busy for this time of year.

I tried a couple of fartlek style fast intervals, and managed to get the average pace down impressively (at least I was impressed.) Of course, that made the last interval tougher, with the stair climb, but I got up that pretty quickly. A short walk to regain my breathing a bit, and I was running again. A couple of minutes later and I was done.

Distance: 16.08 Time: 1:30:00
Average speed: 5:35 min/km. (10.72 kph)
Rest distance: 950.4 m. Rest time: 9:19.
Total distance: 17.03 km. Total time: 1:39:19.

Shoes: Asics GT-2130.

Weather: Sunny and -2C at the start, 4C at the end.

No comments: