Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Running in the Snow

I think I ran in the rain once all spring/summer/fall, but first snow, and I'm out there. It's a little wet, not really cold enough to stick. But it started coming down pretty thick while I was out there.

I started this time by heading over to Centre Street. I haven't gone that way for awhile, though it only adds a couple of hundred metres to the run. All the fitness groups that are usually on The Stairs seemed to be gone, though there were at least five an hour before.

Across the bridge and toward Eau Claire, which seemed deserted. There were a few on the promenade, but the whole atmosphere has changed. The snow and the time change have made the place a little dismal.

At the 14th Street bridge, I had great power climbing up to the bridge deck, courtesy of an andrenalin shot from some idiot on a bike that almost ran me down.

From 14th Street back to the foot bridge to Prince's Island, there was nary a soul. Another fitness group was making an effort to ignore the snow on The Stairs. I ran up The Stairs, all the way this time, although I had to walk for fifty metres or so at the top until my breathing settled a little.

After that, along the bluff until I turned north on 4th Street, as usual.

Distance: 6.93 Time: 41:53
Average speed: 6:02 min/km (9.93 kph).

Shoes: Asics GT-2130.

Weather: Light rain and 0C (but I'd call it snow.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was me who beeped at you when you were at the traffic lights waiting to cross... too dark to see!

Nony