Friday, May 30, 2008

Wet Friday Night

Woohoo. It started to come down as soon as I stepped out the door. By the time I'd walked my warm-up block and began running, I was drenched. Very nice.

It hardly felt as though I was being rained on at all, I guess because I was running with the wind. But the way it was dripping off the brim of my hat, I was getting pelted like every one else.

A lot of people were out on the bluff, running The Stairs and The Path Under The Stairs. Real runners don't notice the rain much, I guess. It was great!

By the time I got to the bottom it was a downpour, and it persisted as I ran across the foot bridge to Prince's Island. By the time I got to the Jaipur Bridge, the sun was blinding, yet the downpour was unabated.

There were hardly any people out on the promenade, of course, but by the time I got to the 10th Street bridge, the rain had stopped, and by 14th Street, my shoes were no longer audibly squishing. Across from the Greyhound terminal, there were even dry spots on the pavement.

Once I got away from the traffic noise, where Pumphouse Road branches off of Bow Trail, I could hear my shoes again. Not loudly, though. I kept thinking I was hearing someone coming up behind me.

At Crowchild the sun disappeared behind the next black rain squall, and I kept waiting all the way home for the heavens to open up again. But it never happened.

I tackled The Path rather agressively tonight, having lots of leg and breath for it for once. Usually I've run out of one or the other when I get that far.

And then along the bluff and home. Never got rained on at the end.

Distance: 10.01 km. Time: 57:27.
Average speed: 10.5 kph (5:44 min/km).

Shoes: New Balance 1061.

Weather: Cloudy and 18C.

No comments: